Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Changes are in the air

I am not sure if changes are good for life, but generally they are good... especially so for maintaining a diet that leads to a better quality of life.. :)

I know losing weight to many means to abstain from food, some does extreme exercises humanly impossible, some do both... and the end DESIRED result will be to look good, perhaps, or maybe feel good? PLEASE understand that losing weight is a process, not a destination (CORNY lar I know, stop going "eh eh eh, he got that from somewhere.. but I digress), By pegging it as a destination, once you reach there, there will be nowhere else to go but back...see what I mean?.. hmm? hmm?... But if you see it as a process or journey, then it will become a lifestyle change. I cannot stress enough, the road to losing weight, getting fit and looking AND FEELING good, is a sustainable change in lifestyle habit. That means, food in-take, exercise, work and hobbies must be tweaked to suit our new lifestyle.

*For those who winced at the word CHANGE, you may not be ready... If you must, take it easy and slowly.. SLOWLY change (heh? winced again eh?)... the Key word is SUSTAINABLE hor...

Anyway, let me just share a little today, since I seem to be in the mood to blog... (more to come in the next blog)

Modified Atkins Diet consist of non-existent carb intake + cardio-vascular exercises leading to ketosis induced fat burn.

My version of the Modified Atkins Diet is divided into 2 parts for the sports person aka martial artist like myself;

1. To reach your target weight:
  • Intake: Non-carb. Always go for high protein, high calcium, fibre-rich and low fat content food.
  • Workout (Week 1 & 2): 30 mins to 1 hour of low level intensity (2-3 times a week)
  • Workout (Week 3 onwards): 1 hour of low - mid level intensity (2-3 times a week)
  • Caution: Always start SLOW. The weight WILL DROP as long as you are patient and willing to persist.
2. To maintain:
  • Intake: Carb intake is permitted. Again, always go for high protein, high calcium, fibre-rich and low fat.
  • Workout: 1 - 2 hours of mid - high level intensity (3 times a week)
  • Caution: Remember to let our bodies rest once in a while so it can recover.
Part of my lifestyle change was also NOT to eat at night, I made it easier for myself by getting involved in computer games or going online when I feel hungry (roughly translated, that is me being greedy and being a glutton). Draw your own road map, make detours away from your obstacles, maybe you might just make that all important step FORWARD.

Remember, there is only FORWARD and BACKWARD, never STILL in time. So go go go!!!

No comments: