Sunday, May 11, 2008

My kata Jiin

Jiin looks more similar to Jion as to Jitte and is also longer than Jitte. But Jiin includes footwork with difficult turns, requiring good balance ala Chinto. In this area it is the most difficult of the three Kata.

Jiin, the name is to translate to "ground of the temple" or "temple ground". It is classified under Itosu-Te family of katas, however, there are some (including myself) who thinks the 3 katas may have their roots in both Tomari-Te and Matsumura.

Common traits of Jion, Jitte and Jiin are movements out to the side and in the case of Jiin, there are some backward turns which sets it apart from the former two.

I would love to show you what Jiin is all about but due to copyright issues, I will only have to show you what I can do. (...not very good, but at least it is better than some I have seen posted online.. *wink!!)

Kata: Jiin. Time: 1min 18secs

By the way, I think it needs more work (I need more practise lor), my grading is in 6 weeks time)

~Outz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

This is not Ji'in, i get it up to the kibi dachi's and shuto's however you finish completely differently to how i was/am currently being taught (two separate federations within the UK spanning 16 years).

Also your stances are not deep enough - is this Shotoka or Wad Ryu (if the latter I can understand) as Shotokan is about strong, deep stances.

Sorry wasn't picking at it just doing some research myself as I have my 1st kyu grading in 6 weeks.

Rich

Sim Chong Jin said...

I am from Shitoryu Karate. We are from Shitokai Japan. This version of Jiin is one of 3, and this happens to be currently one of the compulsory katas needed for a Sandan grading. The other 2 in the series are Jion and Jitte.

Don't worry I have seen more variations to katas in karate than there are species of butterflies! LOL. I wish you all the best in your grading and hope you continue to guide your kohai well in years to come.