Sunday, March 2, 2008

I am never good at ball games

Maybe it is because I have been left out out of my school's soccer team, time and again. Or maybe it is because as a child I was deprived of any team game effort. I don't know. I am just never any good with games that involves BALLS.

Yeah well, I was actually playing soccer when I was in primary school once. They had these "PE Lessons" which will involve the entire class divided into two teams and play against each other, whether you like it or not. Quietly I guess that was how the physical education teachers took it easy on themselves, you know, get a few balls from the store and let the class play a game of soccer... good on team work, great on the cardio vascular.. yeah well,

"TEACH! OPEN YA EYES! SOME OF YOUR CHARGES WERE TRAUMATISED FOR LIFE!!!"

I remembered like it was yesterday... I was in primary 6... I was unfortunately forced to play, they will start with picking the 2 best soccer players in our class and they will then take turns and alternatively choose team members for themselves. I WILL ALWAYS BE THE LAST TWO. Why caps? Because I want to make a point, you see... I was always the last 2...

*sniff sniff

Well back to the flashback... so anyway, I was the last two and almost always there will be a little give and take going on between the 2 captains, they will want to take the other one, and give me up... ~siiiiiigggghhhh

The game will start and I will always be either the goal keeper, or one of the numerous defenders... what will happen is that I will be reduced to just watching the action because everyone will be playing the ball and I will be cheering... and cheering.. until the final whistle.

ONCE, I managed to play myself up front.. by ignoring my captain's advice. Why? I still don't know, but I will alwyas remember this moment for the rest of my life.. LOL I got the ball deep in the other team's half.. I was right in front of the goal mouth, and the ball was flying towards me.. I turned, took the ball on my knees (I was actually trying to chest it down.. LOL), and send the ball hurtling between the goal!! GOAL! Then there was a lot of yelling and shouting, after which of course I found myself staring at the blank face of my own goal keeper... I have scored an own goal.. yeah well, that would be my first and last contact of a soccer ball in a looooong time...

There were other times of course when I would be in various contacts with soccer balls, notably once, when I was in secondary one, a bully kinda smashed the ball right into my head front behind... GRrrrr.. furious... angry.. seeing red.. murderous... would be more appropriate for my reaction. Anyway, I will leave that memory in my head for the moment.. better to talk it then to type it.. I am going to smash the keyboard any moments now... GRrrrr...

Nowadays, I still suck at ball games... so if you ever think you are going to beat me up, carry a soccer ball.. LOL...

No comments: