Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shitoryu Karate & Judo

Day 45

I am now officially a striker and a grappler!! :P

Shitō-ryū (糸東流?) is a form of karate that was founded in 1931 by Kenwa Mabuni (摩文仁 賢和 Mabuni Kenwa?).  Kenwa Mabuni was born in Shuri, a district of Naha, Okinawa in 1889. Mabuni was a 17th generation descendant of the famous warrior Oni Ufugusuku Kenyu.[1] Perhaps because of his weak constitution, he began his instruction in his home town in the art of Shuri-te (首里手?) at the age of 13, under the tutelage of the legendary Ankō Itosu (糸州 安恒 Itosu Ankō?) (1813–1915). He trained diligently for several years, learning many kata from this great master. It was Itosu who first developed the Pinan kata, which were most probably derived from the "Kusanku" form.

One of his close friends, Chōjun Miyagi (宮城 長順 Miyagi Chōjun?) (co-founder of Gojū-ryū Karate) introduced Mabuni to another great of that period, Kanryō Higaonna (東恩納 寛量 Higaonna Kanryō?). Mabuni began to learn Naha-te (那覇手?) under him. While both Itosu and Higaonna taught a "hard-soft" style of Okinawan "Te", their methods and emphases were quite distinct: the Itosu syllabus included straight and powerful techniques as exemplified in the Naifanchi and Bassai kata; the Higaonna syllabus stressed circular motion and shorter fighting methods as seen in the kata Seipai and Kururunfa. Shitō-ryū focuses on both hard and soft techniques to this day.

By 1929, Mabuni had moved to Osaka on the mainland, to become a full-time karate instructor of a style he originally called Goju-ryū, or "half-hard style". The name of the style changed to Shitō-ryū, in honor of its main influences. Mabuni derived the name for his new style from the first kanji character in their names, Itosu and Higaonna.


-Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shito-ryu)


Judo or Jūdō (柔道 jūdō?, meaning "gentle way") is a modern martial art and combat sport created in Japan in 1882 by Kano Jigoro. Its most prominent feature is its competitive element, where the object is to either throw or takedown one's opponent to the ground, immobilize or otherwise subdue one's opponent with a grappling maneuver, or force an opponent to submit by joint locking or by executing a strangle hold or choke. Strikes and thrusts by hands and feet as well as weapons defences are a part of judo, but only in pre-arranged forms (kata) and are not allowed in judo competition or free practice (randori).

The philosophy and subsequent pedagogy developed for judo became the model for other modern Japanese martial arts that developed from koryū (古流?, traditional schools). The worldwide spread of judo has led to the development of a number of offshoots such as Sambo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Practitioners of judo are called jūdōka.
-Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo)



Its been so long since I was a white belt, learning new things all over again.  Oooh!! It was so exciting to be back at the learning stage, to be humbled, to look up to a new group of seniors to get the techniques right.  I found myself once again, keenly watching with an eagle eye, every move, every step, hanging on every word the senseis and senpais said.  Being guided when I did something wrong, feeling all excited when I did the falls and techniques right.

Once more I feel Mr Wong has done the corrrect thing by assigning a senior black belt to guide the training of new white belts in the dojo. As a white belt on my first day, I can't help feeling lost and strange in a new place with everyone being s familiar with the routine but me!.. lol. Now I have a new appreciation when a new white belt steps into SKA for the very first time..  and SKA is at least twice as big as the SJC and the group twice as big.  But I reckon the problem is, SKA has less friendlier people. well not less friendlier, but SEEM less approachable.  When I was at SJC today, all the trainees did their best to accomodate me and I thank them here for their hospitality which made me feel less clumsy and more inclined to come for my next training..which happens to be Tuesday night..  wahaha!

Karate will always be my first love and nothing will ever come in-between me and her.. except maybe my belly.. :(  Judo supplements my training for grappling, break-falling and most importantly.. I can handle myself in standup fights..  now.. I am preparing myself for ground work.. and boy am I looking forward to my training... wish me luck! :P

~CJ
aka The Determined One

No comments: